Around the Middle East in 40 Days,

My adventure around 10 different countries in the Middle east. It is more meaningful to read this blog bottom up, rather then top down. This will make more sense as I develop my ideas along with my travel. N.B. Posts might be delayed, not only because of lack of connectivity, but also maybe till I move from the country I am visiting to the next. Just to be on the safe side :) However I must admit the major reason remains my habit of procrastination

Sunday, June 04, 2006

The world of policing

I guess I entered the world or police. Police are everywhere in Tunisia. Last time around I was here, the ratio of Police to people was a little more significant given the WSIS. However, they were still very present in the downtown area. Sometimes there presence was very uncomforting. All they need is a newspaper with a hole in the middle and they would be exactly like the mokhber in Egypt :).

Algeria, well if I was uncomfortable in Tunisia, was another story really. Cops and police checkpoints where everywhere. It was disturbing, but I guess the events of the 90s have made them a bit edgy. I also saw police checking cars at the hotel, which was a drill I was used too, but checking under the hood too, that was new. Who in his right mind would put things under the hood.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home