Around the Middle East in 40 Days,

My adventure around 10 different countries in the Middle east. It is more meaningful to read this blog bottom up, rather then top down. This will make more sense as I develop my ideas along with my travel. N.B. Posts might be delayed, not only because of lack of connectivity, but also maybe till I move from the country I am visiting to the next. Just to be on the safe side :) However I must admit the major reason remains my habit of procrastination

Thursday, June 01, 2006

Al-Jazeera, it must be a very frightening station

Over the years I had heard about the fear of Al-jazeera in the Middleast, but I never really knew its extent. Now I know. I entered into a space providing internet access to students. It was in the municipality premises, but open to the public. The guy at the desk didn't get a word that I was coming and he was very skeptical. I was trying not to make him uncomfortable, that was very difficult indeed. When I was asking to take photos of the place he totally refused, he said how would I know you are not a reporter for Al-jazeera and that you will put information on the air and it would cause him problems. The guy pointed out to the posters and pictures in the surroundings which all referred to the president and governing party. How would taking photos of a public place be such an issue, and more so why especially Al-jazeera. I guess Al-jazeera has become an icon of open information people don't like to make in these countries. After this incident I am tempted to send this blog to Al-jazeera.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home