Around the Middle East in 40 Days,

My adventure around 10 different countries in the Middle east. It is more meaningful to read this blog bottom up, rather then top down. This will make more sense as I develop my ideas along with my travel. N.B. Posts might be delayed, not only because of lack of connectivity, but also maybe till I move from the country I am visiting to the next. Just to be on the safe side :) However I must admit the major reason remains my habit of procrastination

Sunday, May 28, 2006

Give me an EAR

Well I was waiting to meet a gentleman that I was sent to. He is a director in a higher educational institute. As I waited in his office, a professor who was also there started a conversation. He was Libyan, just returned from Germany not too long ago. I was watching my words, you really don't want to be going on a wrong step here. As we started to discuss issues, politics (An Arab favorite had to pop up). We exchanged ideas in general, then someone came in the room and left some papers on the desk. That was supposed to be what he had to do, but he never did leave the room as such. He kept standing there, listening attentively to the discussion. I don't think he was listening to learn, or give his opinion. Probably listening to make sure that nothing "wrong" is said, something he needs to make corrective action against. It was starting to be uneasy to have this situation evolve. I kept on the same tone and topic, although remained to watch my words and make more reference to Egypt, then anything else. Very disturbing to have such an atmosphere, where freedom of expression is not allowed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home