Around the Middle East in 40 Days,

My adventure around 10 different countries in the Middle east. It is more meaningful to read this blog bottom up, rather then top down. This will make more sense as I develop my ideas along with my travel. N.B. Posts might be delayed, not only because of lack of connectivity, but also maybe till I move from the country I am visiting to the next. Just to be on the safe side :) However I must admit the major reason remains my habit of procrastination

Saturday, May 27, 2006

Think Green

Well I stepped out of the plane and took the airport shuttle to the terminal. It read "Matar Tarablous Al3alamy" Although it might be the best effort of Tripoli International Airport, it really got me thinking in a different direction.

As I started to walk into the terminal, suddenly everything was green. That statement is usually associated with trees and grass, but in this case it was paint. Green paint in all shades was the only paint they used. I guess it was a welcoming reminder of the whole new concept of green.

I was waiting in line with others, and the passport officers were doing nothing really. They left all the people in line and when they felt like doing something they would call on a passenger to come forward. A gentleman in the line appeared to be furious, although he kept it to himself and mubbled a few words. I asked him, why he is complaining after all just go to any public worker in Egypt and you would probably see something of the same. He said that the passport officers in Egypt don't do that. As if we ask for quality of service, we just complain and that is it. In Egypt it is just the sheer numbers that make it a must to move people out the system. Here they get a plane every couple of hours, so why rush.

I got the passport stamped and was asked if I had currency, I indicated the amount I had and he said go. I went down, and the plane had landed a while ago. The luggage had not arrived, and seemed to be something that would take time. I looked at the run down airport and recalled the "3alamy" name they had up there and felt like laughing. I met a young man from Egypt, a consultant in biomedical engineering. He was there on work and we chatted to kill time. Almost 30mins or so had passed and no sight of bags. Everyone was starting to get edgy. Finally I got a hold of my bags and started to think of finding a hotel.

Yes, I actually couldn't sort out accommodation before hand and flew in without arrangements, I just had a number of a hotel that I knew had rooms. I called and they were available. I changed money and took a cab to town.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home