Around the Middle East in 40 Days,

My adventure around 10 different countries in the Middle east. It is more meaningful to read this blog bottom up, rather then top down. This will make more sense as I develop my ideas along with my travel. N.B. Posts might be delayed, not only because of lack of connectivity, but also maybe till I move from the country I am visiting to the next. Just to be on the safe side :) However I must admit the major reason remains my habit of procrastination

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Oh man, this is beautiful

Damascus was just beautiful, walking in the old city was so exciting. Especially outstanding was of course the Ummawy Mosque. It was just so interesting to be in so much history. Reminded me of the walk in old Islamic Cairo, but again it was not as lively and as crowded. I also went up Qasuoun Mountain and had a quick peak from atop on Al-sham. I had always thought Al-Sham was in reference to all the region, but now realized they use it to refer to Damascus, just like we call Cairo, Masr (or Egypt) back home. The people were also very friendly and nice. They were extremely approachable, and more so when they know me to be Egyptian. It was nice to be in this city. The hotel was also nice. I was in Sheraton Damascus, which although was not extremely expensive on international standards seemed to be upscale in Syria. It was a change from my usual cheap stay experience, and definitely on my return list if I am in Damascus again

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home