Around the Middle East in 40 Days,

My adventure around 10 different countries in the Middle east. It is more meaningful to read this blog bottom up, rather then top down. This will make more sense as I develop my ideas along with my travel. N.B. Posts might be delayed, not only because of lack of connectivity, but also maybe till I move from the country I am visiting to the next. Just to be on the safe side :) However I must admit the major reason remains my habit of procrastination

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

What language is this?

I thought I can manage understanding Arabic in Algeria with my command of Tunisian dialect, I was mistaken. The mixed up language is a blend of Arabic, French, Barbar, Amazeey and many other things I don't know. It was really hard to communicate. Younger people were a little better, since they received Arabic language education. Women were even more, since they watched TV which promoted Egyptian culture and language. The older generation was another story. I had long been impressed with the French presence in Egypt, since it had a remarkable effect on the heritage and discoveries of many treasures. I lost this admiration, and felt the huge effect on wiping the culture and identity of people in Algeria. The older generation only know French, and it was hard to reach out to them

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home