Around the Middle East in 40 Days,

My adventure around 10 different countries in the Middle east. It is more meaningful to read this blog bottom up, rather then top down. This will make more sense as I develop my ideas along with my travel. N.B. Posts might be delayed, not only because of lack of connectivity, but also maybe till I move from the country I am visiting to the next. Just to be on the safe side :) However I must admit the major reason remains my habit of procrastination

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Algiers is a POOR city

Well I stepped into the airport and I was stunned. I was very shabby and poor. Nothing there really, Could this be the airport of the capital of Algeria. This was worse then the old airport in Cairo many years back, and even Addis Ababa had a better airport. On the way back I was promised a better service in the departure terminal, that was not true. Even the duty free was practically empty. I guess this town doesn't cater for many tourist. (I have to add that I was informed later that there is a new terminal that should be active in July 2006, it looked much better from the outside, maybe I can have another visit and check it out)

I had taken the time to walk a little in town the morning after I arrived. The city was not much better than the airport really, very shabby and poor. I was expecting more from this city. I went to the Kasbah market, a popular souk in Algiers, and it was like the popular places in Cairo, but a little less crowded and cleaner. It was surprising though that it was crowded at this time of the day, people are supposed to be working. Actually traffic jams were everywhere, compared to the clear strrets in Cairo between 10am and noon this was surprising. All this seemed to put the fact that everyone on the plane from Tunisia was packed with at least two duty free bags in perspective.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home