Around the Middle East in 40 Days,

My adventure around 10 different countries in the Middle east. It is more meaningful to read this blog bottom up, rather then top down. This will make more sense as I develop my ideas along with my travel. N.B. Posts might be delayed, not only because of lack of connectivity, but also maybe till I move from the country I am visiting to the next. Just to be on the safe side :) However I must admit the major reason remains my habit of procrastination

Saturday, June 17, 2006

Airport, contrast

When I was arriving to Khartoum, I was very impressed with the airport. It was actually a clean spacious terminal, which was great. I was also happy for the first time to be traveling with an Egyptian passport, things were going very fast and well. I finished the passport control in under 10 mins and went to pick up my luggage. It had been a long trip, considering flying over night and I wanted to go to the hotel to sleep. Anxiously I waited for the luggage, it was taking a long time. I recalled a statement I heard from a friend many years ago about Africa. It goes "Everyone in the world is running after time, except in Africa THEY JUST HAVE IT", now I understood the meaning of that statement. I waited for over 2 hours for any sign of luggage from the flight to appear. After the third hour I was finally leaving with my luggage, vowing never again to come with luggage more than a carry on.

The sever shock was actually later, while leaving Sudan, the departure hall was just poor. It was a sharp contrast to what I saw coming in, a run down terminal which looked very plain. I guess I came to terms with reality of Africa.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home